Thursday, May 24, 2012

Bystander Effect


The first time I experienced the Bystander Effect was when I was in the sixth grade. I was outside with my cousin playing soccer when all of sudden i just hear two young men arguing and then I hear shots. I stood there with the soccer ball witnessing the young men letting all his anger while pushing the trigger of the gun. This happened during the day where a lot of traffic was around. People were driving, walking, and outside their houses. No one bother to call the police or trying to see if the other young person was injured or needed help. I couldn’t do anything at the time because I was a little kid at the time. I just ran inside the house because my cousin screamed at me, "Get in the house, hurry!" After the shooting happen everybody acted like nothing happened and kept on going with their day. Later the police showed up and were asking questions but it seemed nobody wanted to speak.

1 comment:

  1. Your were a child and did the right thing, but not one adult called the police or stopped to make sure the other person was alright after the gun was fired? That's the bystander effect. Everyone watches hoping someone else will do something.

    ReplyDelete